|Before: Except for the color scheme and a few other cosmetic details, this is the way that I think the house appeared when it was first built, circa 1865, for the President of Skaneateles, Joseph Allen, and his wife, Harriet Bowdish. It remained in this configuration for only a short period of time, until Edmund Eckett took possession (in 1878) and modified it circa 1880.||After: The changes made in the appearance between 1880 and 1999 (above) were very slightpaint on the bricks, less ornate chimneys, minimal front steps, shutters removed, and overhang of eaves decreased following the storm that removed the roof in November, 1950. In 1999 the frosted class was removed from the lower course of windows in the glassed-in porch.|
Edmund Eckett added a new room (kitchen) on the rear and extended the second floor to the rear with two additional bedrooms, one over the former one-storey kitchen and one over the new kitchen. The entry at the side was moved to the rear (and added to) in order to make an enclosed back porch. He added a fieldstone basement under the glassed-in front porch and extended the porch around the south side of the house. Inside, the former kitchen was enhanced with new wainscoating (some of which is now at the Skaneateles Historical Society covering the wall around the newspaper office display) and a built-in walnut and curly maple cabinet to become the new dining room. Probably the most significant change inside the older portion of the house was a reconstruction of the front stairwell. Steps which had ascended to a landing and then turned for a two step rise toward the front of the house were pitched a little steeper to go to a landing which was one step higher than the original. From this landing the new configuration went up one step toward the front of the house and two steps toward the new back portion, which was somewhat elevated because it had been built atop the old kitchen.