This is the web site of the Skaneateles Schools Alumni Association, which has a history going back to the 1870s. In these few pages we hope to provide you with a brief outline of our organization and its activities. Please feel free to contribute information and ideas to the site. We welcome both your comments on the site and your participation in the organization.
Important Changes to Skaneateles Schools Alumni Association
On February 2, 2011, the Skaneateles Schools Alumni Association (SSAA) Executive Board made the decision that for the foreseeable future SSAA activities will be restricted to the following:
- SSAA will continue to award annual scholarships as long as available funds allow.
- SSAA will continue to maintain the database of alumni names and addresses. Address changes brought to our attention will be updated in the database. When requested, this data will be provided to designated representatives of classes planning reunions.
- SSAA will continue to accept monetary donations. Any donations designated for scholarship use will be recorded in a separate account and strictly used for that purpose. Any non-designated donations will be placed in the general fund where they will be applied to scholarship and incidental expenses.
The future of the SSAA website has yet to be determined. For the present, deaths and other information will continue to be maintained on it.
This action is taken primarily due to the lack of response to appeals for new board membership. Alumni interested in helping with current or future board activities, please contact the board by mail or email. No annual newsletters or all-class reunions are planned.
Mission and Goals
Our mission is to preserve and enhance the heritage of the Skaneateles Schools system by promoting awareness, pride, and support among the alumni, the students, and the community. We also wish to provide an opportunity for all members to enjoy added social interaction.
Our goals include:
- organizing and facilitating meetings comprised of all members, thus providing for the fellowship of alumni
- raising funds for the creation of scholarships
- creating a file of addresses for all living alumni for the use of the school, ourselves, and individual classes
- developing and maintaining a comprehensive list of all alumni, living and dead
- providing a communication link between the members of the Alumni Association and the school
- developing camaraderie among all alumni
- providing a source of historical information about the Skaneateles schools
Our database is one that we jointly maintain with the high school. We are fortunate to have dedicated members of the high school staff who are willing to volunteer their time to do the data entry and the day-to-day maintenance of the files. These files are, of course, no better than the data that is entered. For this reason we request that you help us as much as possible by keeping us informed of your current address. (Send updates to Cassie Taylor – see below.) If we don’t know where you are, we can’t send you newsletters or announcements of all-class reunions. We missed many people in the mailing for the Grand Reunion 2000, but we improved in the mailings for the 2001 reunion and the newsletters in 2002 and 2003. We hope to continue to increase our coverage and our accuracy.
It is our hope that each class will have an official representative that can and will be responsible for receiving a class printout for the purpose of organizing class reunions. This person will also be responsible for submitting updates after a class reunion, and for maintaining an up-to-date list and staying in touch at other times as well.
Unfortunately, because of legal complications the school cannot issue address lists to just anyone. Access will be limited to the official class representative, who should make requests, in writing: Attn Cassie Taylor, Skaneateles Schools Alumni Association, PO Box 577, Skaneateles, NY 13152-0577.